Saturday, December 29, 2012

My little Trooper

Yesterday Declan underwent a surgery to remove his tonsils (or Tinsils as he referred to them) and adenoids. We got to the surgery center at about 8 am for his surgery. He told me he was scared, but we made sure that we talked all about it long before his surgery. He had a lot of questions for me, like is it going to hurt, why is he getting his tonsils out, what can he eat after he has them out, etc. I wanted to make sure that he knew everything and had all of his questions answered. The nurses at the surgery center were fantastic. One of them let Declan play with her stethoscope and listen to his own heart beat and listen to hers. The anesthesiologist came in and introduced himself and talked to Declan about super heroes. The doctor also came in and talked to Declan and I before the surgery. They all made him feel very comfortable, and let him know exactly what they were going to do. He was in pretty good spirits when they wheeled him down the hallway.

After the surgery, the doctor told me that he did really well but that his tonsils and adenoids were quite large so his throat would be pretty sore. He had very little bleeding, so I was hoping that we would be able to avoid him getting sick from having swallowed blood. They then walked me back to see him. He was pretty scared after he woke up, and he told me that he didn't like it. But I let him know that it was all over. Devin was able to take an early lunch and come see him at the surgery center, and that calmed him down a lot. Before we left, he was able to pick out a couple of prizes from the basket that the nurses had. He thought that was pretty cool.

After we got home, he was able to drink a bit of juice and we put him down for a nap. He was feeling a lot better after he got some sleep, and woke up almost good as new. We tried to get him to not talk so much, but last night he was being a chatter box. I was worried that he would pay for that today, but he seems to be doing pretty well today as well, even asked for some pancakes for breakfast!

I owe my mom a HUGE thanks for coming over here and watching Molli and the Twins yesterday while I was at the surgery center with Declan. They kids are really glad that she was able to come over for a visit!

So, that's all for now. Declan is on the mend, but I have a feeling it's going to be really difficult to get him to stay quiet for 2 weeks!!!

Before the surgery
After - Trying to wake up
Today!




No comments: